Pound Cake from The Ultimate Book of Baking by Martha Day, 2005
?2 cups flour
?1 teaspoon baking powder
?1 cup (2 sticks butter)
?1 cup sugar
?grated rind of 1 lemon
?1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease a 9-x5-inch loaf pan.
2. Sift the flour and baking powder into a small bowl. Set aside.
3. With an electric mixer, cream the butter, adding the sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, until light and fluffy. Stir in the lemon rind and vanilla.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition.
5. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
6. Pour the batter into the pan and tap lightly. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 ¼ hours.
7. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmold the cake from the pan onto the wire rack and let cool completely.