Camp of the Duryea’s Zouaves Federal Hill Baltimore, Md. Looking North. Baltimore: E. Sachse& Co., 1861.
This hand colored lithograph is one of six prints of Civil War encampments by E. Sachse& Co. given to the Society by member David Doret. The publisher, Edward Sachse (1804-1873), had just opened at a new location on South Charles Street in Baltimore when the war began. A specialist in views, Sachse naturally began to produce detailed images of wartime hospitals, regimental camps, and headquarters to meet the demand of Union print consumers who were anxious to see where their troops were living and serving. With his main location in Baltimore and his sons working in Virginia and St. Louis, Sachse had access to several key staging areas for the supply routes and preparations of the war. His prints serve as excellent, if a bit idealized, records of the gathering and movement of Union troops in the early days of the war. With the Doret donation, the Society now holds over forty examples of lithographs printed by this firm, ranging in date from 1850 to 1874. Gift of David Doret.